New Astro Site Updates and Plans
Nov 27, 2023
Developing a new full-stack site is a multi-step iterative process. The new gingerkiwi.dev site combines a blog with over two years of writing, with a developer portfolio, while adding a ton of new features. Here's some of the details and updates for the new https://GingerKiwi.dev.
I've started the domain registrars transfer of gingerkiwi.dev (No more GoDaddy! 🥳) . So the site should be deployed on .dev before the end of the week.
My web hosting will move from Netlify to Fly.io
As of last night, the backend is working. Readers can now like posts. See the article from two days ago about the "The Social Saturday Group Debugging Party".
Fix the layout issues on mobile
Refactor the CSS and set custom fonts
Get the cover images and their alt text working how I want them too
Create subpages for article series such as Motivational Mondays, Quick A11y Tips for Devs, and French for Devs.
Write the accessibility statement
Add portfolio projects and contact pages
There will be a ton of ongoing work moving all my blog posts from the past 1.5 years and older saved work onto this new site.
A light theme, setting theme to device settings, and some other features will be added in the upcoming months.
- Fullstack Next.js, Astro, React,
- Tailwind CSS,
- Drizzle ORM, Better-SQLite
- Hosted on Fly.io
- Collections for posts with pages for different topics and article series.
- RSS feed
- Improved accessibility features (see details below)
- Dark and light theme
Some of the accessibility features include:
- in-page links for long articles,
- fixed the semantic headings issue with posts and logo on gingerkiwi.blog,
- dark mode
- Visual and colour indication of links on hover and focus
- Will be tested with NDVA and MacOS VoiceOver (2024)
- Accessibility statement page